The boob tube isn’t just for entertainment anymore. And, let’s face it—it’s a lot more than just a television! People are watching video on their computers at home and at work, on their tablets, on their phones… Video is omnipresent—and it should be a vital component of your insurance marketing package.
Don’t get nervous: we’re not suggesting that you take time away from your agency to prepare to become the next Spielberg. Video marketing doesn’t have to be complicated or take 25 hours a day, eight days a week.
But even if there is a little learning curve at first, you’re likely to find it worth the investment of time and energy. After all, more than 90 percent of B2B customers watch online video—and 43 percent of B2B customers watch online video when researching products and services for their business.
Still not convinced? Check out these other statistics on the power of video marketing:
According to Internet Retailer, visitors who view product videos are 85 percent more likely to buy than visitors who do not.
According to Forbes, 65 percent of senior executives have visited a company’s website after watching a video.
And Simply Measured has famously determined that social media posts containing video are 12 times as likely to be shared as posts that are simply textual.
Get Started with Video Marketing
If you’re just starting out with video marketing, hold off on any big investments into equipment. Use the tools you already have at your disposal to get a feel for the process. (In a later post, we’ll talk about tools that you may want to invest in to strengthen your existing video marketing program.)
After all, if you have a digital camera, you probably have the capability to shoot short videos. And, of course, if you have a smartphone, you can shoot short videos with that.
For your first projects, we definitely recommend that you keep it short—again, just get a feel for the process. But don’t worry about meeting the hyper-short requirements of platforms like Vine (6 seconds) or Instagram’s Instavids (15 seconds). Those very tight timelines require extensive planning to make a video that packs a lot of punch into an incredibly short period of time.
Here’s the step-by-step:
Ideas for Marketing Videos
Don’t fall victim to the false notion that insurance subjects don’t lend themselves to video. You just need to be a little creative about it! Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Create a how-to video on a subject that will be useful to your followers. For instance:
· How to check your plumbing for leaks
· How and where to post safety signage in your business
· How to create an emergency kit for your vehicle
- If your agency is planning a webinar or workshop for existing clients or lead generation, create a video on the workshop subject, and include a share button at the end to increase participation.
- Don’t forget to film any workshops you offer! Later you can edit the footage and voilà: you have another video to upload to your YouTube channel.
- Create a series of videos on customer support topics:
· How to file a claim
· Steps to take to insure a claim won’t be denied (for instance, create a home inventory)
- Behind-the scenes at the agency. An occasional light-hearted video featuring your staff can help followers to feel a stronger connection to you. If your agency participates in a volunteer or team-building activity, for instance, that could be a great short video to add to your marketing library. Or if your agency is a multi-generational family business, a peek into the history of the company—including interviews with the founder—could be a lot of fun for your followers (in addition to building your agency’s reputation as a longstanding, reliable business).
- Think seasonally! What about a video on summer safety tips? Or how to prevent break-ins during the holidays?